9/25 – Ryan Irwin, Guest Speaker for Foreign Policy Seminar Fall series

Professor Ryan Irwin, Indiana UniversityPlease join us for the first Foreign Policy Seminar of Fall 2015!

Guest speaker: Ryan Irwin (SUNY-Albany)

“Creating a Liberal World: Rethinking the Cold War’s Origins”

Reception at 4:30, lecture at 5pm. A buffet follows: $12 for students, $20 for all others. To sign up for dinner, please contact Professor Frank Costigliola (frank.costigliola@uconn.edu).

The event will be held in the Wood Hall Basement Lounge.

About Dr. Irwin: “My scholarship explores the historical relationship between globalization and decolonization. Although I write specifically about the changing mechanics and shifting perceptions of American global power, my interests cover comparative imperialism, international institutions, nonstate activism, and technological development.

My first book, Gordian Knot: Apartheid and the Unmaking of the Liberal World Order, investigated the way small, non-European nation-states altered the international system at the height of the Cold War.  I’m working now on an intellectual history of the mid-1970s, as well as a political history about the growth and transformation of the nation-state during the mid-twentieth century.”